The Namibian Dental Association strives to promote the public image of dentistry by reinforcing ethical and transparent professional behaviour. To achieve this the NDA has published a Code of Conduct that NDA members subscribe to.
The Code of Conduct consists of three main parts:
- The first are public pledges that the dental professional and the practice takes whereby they publicly declare that they will act in a professional and ethical manner.
- The second section is a code of ethics which prescribe how a dental professional should behave towards other parties.
- The last part is the NDA Rules and Regulations that stipulate exactly how and what should be charged for dental services and procedures.
These three sections give complete guidance to actions and behaviour for Namibian dental professionals.
The public pledges made by members of the NDA:
As a member of the NDA and as a committed oral health practitioner I pledge to:
- Respect and honour the right of the Namibian public and my patients to be treated in an honest, fair and transparent manner.
- Care for all my patients to the best of my ability and with equal concern and dedication.
- Communicate effectively with my patients in respect of fees, treatment and alternatives as well as other matters concerning their health.
- Employ the most appropriate and cost-
effective methods of treatment and undertake to secure my patient’s informed consent before undertaking such treatment.
- Maintain the highest possible levels of infection control in my practice.
- Enlist the help of more experienced colleagues when appropriate and to refer my patients to such colleague when the need arises.
- Update my professional knowledge and skills by participating in continued professional education.
- Ensure that all persons involved in providing health care to my patients are properly trained and legally registered as required.
- Respect the confidentiality of information entrusted to me.
- Respect the right of patients to seek a second opinion and to communicate effectively with colleagues in order to assist patients in this regard.
NDA Member’s practices will NOT participate in obtaining medical aid payouts by:
- Changing items on accounts
- Changing dates on accounts
- Issuing of “fake” receipts
- Manipulating documents